My beautiful niece Gracie was recently diagnosed with Neuroblastoma (cancer). It is still early in the diagnosis and we are awaiting results to know more about the fight that Gracie will face. I've created this blog as an outlet for friends and family to stay informed about her journey and a way for friends and family to make anonymous contributions towards her care and the mounting expenses her family will face. Gracie is a fighter and the bravest 3 year old I know. Hundreds of people love you Gracie and are praying for you. "Be strong and of good courage for the Lord thy God is with thee" Joshua 1:9


Saturday, October 16, 2010

Breaking out of the hospital

Yesterday was the big day!!! Break out day!
After being admitted for 30 days, she was free! The average stay is 28 days so she did pretty good! There were a few others that had been there two or three months so I am grateful she was able to go after 30 days. I'm counting my blessings, cause it could be so much worse. Gracie is doing great!
I learned how to do the blood draws and heparin and saline flushes. I have to flush both lumens with heparin every day. I also learned to change the caps, which needs to be done once a week, along with the weekly dressing changes. I was a little nervous today for my first unsupervised heparin flush but I realized I know how to do this stuff and I can do it!!! No problem.
Gracie was released around 3:30 in the afternoon and they had her breakout party all ready. She got to break through the streamers blocking the door. It made me a little emotional, as you might imagine. I was so proud of her. Then we had the ice cream and she even ate three bites. Very fun, they also gave her presents!!! That was what really won her over! Lol. She got, a ladybug game, puppy in my pocket, and a doodle bear. She was chatty and happy. It was wonderful :)
Than we came to the Ronald McDonald house where we will stay for a week and go if all is well. They have special rooms here for stem cell transplant patients since they can't be around a lot of people. It is like a studio apartment, it has a large bathroom and two beds and a kitchen and table. Also cable tv!! Most rooms don't have cable or anything and you aren't allowed to eat in them. The Ronald McDonald house provides dinner very night but since she isn't supposed to eat off an assembly line style, she is allowed to eat in her room and we bought a few groceries and snacks. Today we had popcorn and watched sleeping beauty. I should say I had popcorn, she ate two pieces. :)
We have been sleeping a lot today. Yesterday was a long day.
The house got new carpet today and paint yesterday. My Parents are going to deep clean before we come home. Gracie won't be able to go to church or anywhere with a lot of people for a few months. And visitors will be limited. The main challenge will be getting my other kiddos to wash their hands!!!! They want everyone in the house to wash hands 2-3 times an hour.
We are so grateful for all of the continued support and love and prayers. Please pray for her to stay healthy and strong while we are home so she wont have to go back prematurely. We are blessed. Love to all and glory to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment